were popular choices for newspaper buildings in the early 1900s, as evidenced by the steel-framed Jackson Tower. It was designed by two brothers who were active in West Coast architecture: Merrit and James William Reid. The Reids had already designed the Fairmont Hotel (San Francisco) and the Hotel del Coronado (San Diego) at the time of this building's commission.
With the Jackson Tower, the Reid brothers used creamy brick with white terra-cotta trim from the roof balustrade all the way down to just above the base. A two-floor basement under the tower housed the Oregon Journal's pressroom. The original arched base of the tower was covered in stone covering in 1953, while restoration of the building in 1975 replaced the terra-cotta with stucco.
Observing the square clock tower, one sees Doric columns obscured behind the clocks, perhaps not the best design choice. The clock faces are twelve-and-a-half feet across; the clocks chimed until 1941, and today they have to be manually reset twice a year for daylight savings time. They originally ran on battery impulses from the basement of the building, but they were switched to steady electrical power in 1922.
The Jackson Tower was designed to be illuminated at night, with 1,800 bulbs screwed directly into the terra-cotta. Portland's very own nightlight was turned off during World War II to protect the city from bombers and to save electricity. The lights were not turned on again for almost thirty years after the war's end.
* This building is named after Charles Samuel Jackson, editor and publisher of the Oregon Journal from 1902 to 1924.