(originally the Northwestern National Bank Building), 1914
Architect: Doyle, Patterson & Beach
this spot bad luck? The building that preceded the American Bank on this site unexpectedly collapsed. Local giants Henry L. Pittock and Frederick Leadbetter then financed this building's construction, housing their bank here until it went under in 1927. (There was a memorable run on the bank that year, with crowds of people jostling to get inside the building before their funds disappeared.) The two financial institutions that followed afterwards in this building also failed.
But the fourteen-story building has endured, so take your time admiring its detailing; it's not going anywhere. This classical beauty has granite-based Corinthian columns partially encircling the base of the building, and terra-cotta decoration including griffins and eagles above.
The smooth brickwork visible on the front of the American Bank was originally buff; it was painted white in 1983. The primary entrance to the building features bronze hardware, as well as a marquee that was redone in 1936 (according to Pietro Belluschi's designs), and again in 1984.