(originally Lipman, Wolfe & Co., a.k.a. 5th Avenue Suites), 1912; remodeled 1996
Architect: Doyle &
Patterson/remodel ZGF Partnership
The Hotel Monaco is a great companion to the Yeon Building across the street, and a darned good hotel to boot. The ten-story building features white terra-cotta with a wide variety of decorative flourishes: wreaths, frets, medallions, and other embellishments across its front.
The original decorative cornice of this building caused quite an uproar when one of its terra-cotta lion heads fell 100 feet to the sidewalk below. This resulted in the inspection of all of downtown's cornices and the subsequent modification and/or removal of several of them. This building's lions' heads were replaced by fiberglass models.
Merchant Solomon Lipman founded Lipman, Wolfe & Co. in Sacramento in 1850. The Portland branch was opened in 1880, and this building served as a dry goods store. The Lipman family sold out in the 1950s, and Marshall Field's bought the building in 1980 and named it Frederick & Nelson until 1986, when it was boarded up.
A decade later, the interior of this building was completely reworked by ZGF Partnership in its very successful makeover to the 5th Avenue Suites. In 2005, Travel & Leisure Magazine ranked it as Portland's best hotel, and among the world's top 500. More importantly, Jonathan Nicholas of The Oregonian has pointed out that it has the swankiest garage in town. Despite this success, upgrades among other local hotels catalyzed a name change and an interior remodel here in 2007. Now, the refurbished rooms feature "dramatic palettes of periwinkle, espresso, and rich pink" in a style its interior decorator called "Anglo-Chinois." (Periwinkle? Sweet!)Less Text