a.k.a. Durham & Bates Agencies, Inc., Bidwell & Co. Building
Architect: A. E. Doyle; designer,
Charles K. Greene, 1924; restoration 2000
Although this two-story Italian Renaissance building looks a bit like an upscale stone jail, that's not actually stone you're looking at. Rather, it is terra-cotta dressed to resemble granite stone blocks. The base of the building is marble, and the roof was originally a red clay tile. The old bank is a restrained yet entirely attractive building, one that lets significant light through its west side with a series of sizable arched windows. It is also a nice down-to-earth counterpoint to the detailed madness of the U.S. National Bank across the street.
* The Portland Public Library was originally located on this site.
Chief designer Charles K. Greene's next building for Doyle's agency would be the Pacific Building, which had an identical cornice, followed by the Public Service Building, which has the same exterior lights. An extensive restoration in 2000 repaired the building's terra-cotta, marble, and bronze finishes, and new furniture was designed to mesh with the building's historic qualities.