(originally the Imperial Hotel, a.k.a. "The Plaza")
Architect: Frederick Manson White,
Frederick Manson White (1863-1952) was born with an excellent architectural pedigree. His uncle was Stanford White, of the acclaimed New York firm McKim, Mead, and White. Frederick served an apprenticeship for his uncle and then moved to Portland, where he worked on notable local buildings like the Dekum before forming his own firm. The Hotel Vintage Plaza is a very representative sampling of his work. An imposing Richardsonian Romanesque building, it is both utilitarian and classical.
Although this hotel is bereft of the formal decoration that adorned buildings only ten years its senior, it does have some embellishment. The frieze below the cornice at the top is one of its few exterior decorative details. And the burnt-red brick and clean archways form a beautiful contrast with the rustic stonework of the lower floors.
This building went through extensive restoration in the mid-1980s. A badly conceived glass front was removed from the front of the structure to again reveal the beautiful rustic rock face below the brick masonry. Keeping in mind that this building was originally named the Imperial Hotel, look above the lintel stone for this title in an intriguingly zany lettering style on the Washington Street entrance. Here one can also see where stone projections were removed to facilitate the now-absent glass front.
Right next door to the north, is the Hotel Lucia (1909, Whidden & Lewis, formerly the Imperial Hotel, 400 SW Broadway). This once-seedy place had an impressive interior renovation and makeover (2002, Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects) in an interesting minimalist vernacular. Take a peek in the lobby and dig the vibe.Less Text