Architect: Doyle, Patterson & Beach, 1913
This red-brick office building with an off-white
terra-cotta trim would make a nice bookend with the Arlington Club; it's a strong, dignified, and attractive structure. The remodeled columns on the ground floor are covered with a ceramic designed to match the terra-cotta. The Morgan's cornice is made of machine-pressed iron sheet metal and bracketed nicely, and the Oregon Brass Works did the terrific Art Deco entrance in 1938. Although there are some aquatic embellishments on this building, its original tenants were primarily doctors.
The Morgan Building is named for real estate magnate William Morgan. The Tennessee native was nicknamed "the Apartment King" for building over thirty-five apartment buildings throughout Portland.
* What Lurks Below? In the 19th century, a number of cemeteries were established in what is now considered downtown Portland. While efforts were made to disinter and re-inter ALL of the interred, former Portland residents are even now undoubtedly still buried beneath the feet of unsuspecting downtown workers.
A block south from here is the former Esquire Hotel (1907; remodeled 2007, a.k.a. Calumet Hotel, 626 SW Park Avenue, Joseph Jacobberger/renovation: Vallaster & Corl Architects). This is a densely detailed seven-story French Renaissance hotel with a mansard roof and brick quoining. The Esquire's upper floors fell into notorious neglect for decades, but a recent renovation has added lofts and spruced the joint up. While most renovated buildings have their external fire escapes removed (replacing them with internal stairwells), the State Historic Preservation Office judged the Esquire's fire escapes to be "character-defining" features, and required their retention in some fashion. A little bit of subtraction, and voila! Decorative ironwork balconies.Less Text