a.k.a. the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Co. Building, Pacific Bell Telephone Co.
Architect: Edwin V. Cobby/ addition: A. E. Doyle & Associates, North end, 1914; South end, 1926
This beautiful Italian building would not look out of place functioning as a public building in Florence. Pacific Telephone ordered a building that would fit in with the already-present Benson Hotel, and the glazed terra-cotta and rough-faced red brick seem to match well with the Benson. The cornice and balustrade at the top are painted cast-iron, not terra-cotta. The quartz-faced Capitol 2 Building (1969, WEBGROUP, designers Charles W. Endicott, H. Robert Wilmsen) at the northeast corner of Stark and Park avenues is technically an addition to the Capitol Building. The architects' idea was to create an extension that was mindful of the original structure without simply copying it.