One of the more fashionable addresses to keep downtown, this swanky
Jacobean building offers onlookers lots of details: there are token balconies at the eighth floor, a nice roof balustrade, and "escutcheoned" or projecting windows. Unlike so many of its contemporaries, its red-brick front doesn't feature terra-cotta, substituting Idaho sandstone in its stead.
German-born Carl Linde (1864-1945) was the supervising architect for Pabst Brewing Company in Minnesota for eight years. Upon moving to Portland, he worked for a who's who of Portland architectural firms, starting with Edgar Lazarus, for whom he designed the excellent Electric Building (1909, 621 SW Alder). His other employers included Whidden & Lewis, A. E. Doyle, and Whitehouse & Fouilhoux. And yet throughout all that time, Linde didn't have his architect's license. (Of course, neither did anyone else; architecture was considered a gentlemanly occupation and it didn't become a legal, licensed profession in Oregon until 1919.) On his own, Linde designed the Shemanski Fountain in the South Park blocks, the Sovereign, and the pink-stuccoed Envoy (1929, 2336 SW Osage Street).