Newspapers in major American cities traditionally housed
themselves in distinctive and sometimes ostentatious clock towers. The Oregonian once occupied such a structure (1892, Reid & Reid), but it eventually enlisted Pietro Belluschi's help in designing a more up-to-date facility. Belluschi studied newspaper plants across the country to prepare for this project, and it shows; this building looks like a newspaper plant.
* The first issue of The Oregonian came out in 1850. Yearly subscription rates were $5.
It's all very efficient, and the structure's interior layout has been widely praised for its design. On the bottom floor, a concrete slab laid on a bed of sand was prepared for the 600-ton printing presses, with structural allowances made so that their vibration would not shake the rest of the building. The large windows on the ground floor of the east side of the building were intended to allow a view of the pressroom. Mayhem from a 1959 newspaper strike resulted in the breakage and boarding-up of these windows, and Venetian blinds conceal much from the eye today.
Outside, the building's smooth red granite and light limestone sheathing are not particularly appealing. The building has been described by Oregonian columnist Steve Duin as a "mausoleum." The green-tinted windows (and aluminum sashes) are the same type as are found in the Commonwealth Building.