Architect: Joseph Sherwin/remodel: Van Evera Bailey, 1883
building with a touch of the Swiss chalet is usually described as "Stick style." The vernacular never really caught on in Portland, so the Carriage House's wood decorations, lattice, garrets, and gables are a local rarity. This type of construction was made relatively inexpensive in the late 19th century by the development of lathes that could turn milled lumber into these types of elaborate shapes.
The real house that this outbuilding served was William S. Ladd's mansion, which was across the street to the east. This surviving structure housed the Ladds' carriages, and its second floor was a hayloft. It also apparently featured a now-extinct cupola. Ten years after the gingerbread mansion was torn down, architect Van Evera Bailey (1903-1980) remodeled the Carriage House, fitting in the second and third floors to a structure that was originally open-air from the ground up. Bailey then established his own office here and went on to become known for helping develop the Northwest Regional style.
* The building's original west side is gone, the casualty of an addition.
The Ladd Carriage House was cut into two and gently moved from this location for the construction of its new neighbor, the Ladd Tower. Upon its return, it was rehabilitated and perched atop underground parking.