Architect: Carl Linde/1967 remodel: Wolf-Zimmer Associates, Pietro
Belluschi consultant, 1923
This handsome, nine-story, reinforced-concrete building began life as what was euphemistically known as a "multiple-housing facility." Designed for the city dweller uninterested in housework, each micro-living area included French doors looking out onto a micro-balcony, living room (complete with Murphy bed), kitchenette/dining nook, and bathroom.
* The Sovereign's original lobby space is now occupied by the Oregon Historical Society store.
Converted to regular old apartments in 1938, the building retained its wrought iron balconies and other original features. Gorgeous glazed terra-cotta covers the bottom two floors, and the terra-cotta quoining on the corners provides a nice contrast to the red brickwork on the bulk of the faÃ§ade on the upper floors. The building was remodeled again almost thirty years later to "marry" it with the Oregon Historical Society.