home to one of the largest Unitarian congregations in the U.S. Smartly trimmed in stone, a polygonal copper-sheathed spire leads to a steeple, complete with bull's-eye window and pilasters.
The Unitarian Church owns this entire block, and the original red brick church to the north is now connected to the adjacent brick-and-terra-cotta Church of the Nazarene (1926, Raymond W. Hatch) to the south. A major renovation was done by Thomas Hacker Architects in 2006. It resulted in the addition of the Eliot Center to the west of the original church and also created an inner courtyard within the buildings. To minimize the awkwardness of where the church's pitched roof meets the Eliot Center's flat top, the latter's upper floor is glass.
Jamieson Parker was responsible for the Historic American Building Survey, a program designed to record Oregon's most important architectural specimens, in the mid-1930s. Surprisingly, none of the buildings initially listed were in Portland. He also designed St. Mark's Anglican Church.