south of the previously noted Van Rensselaer/Love/Harker triumvirate, the Poppleton Building stands next to two other buildings (the Pearne and Patrick buildings). They do not share the same similarity in style and date of construction as the other trio, but they help one visualize the vast cast-iron thoroughfare that First Avenue once was.
The dramatic Poppleton Building survived the district's huge fire in 1873. Only the iron columns and piers were saved, and work began anew on the building. The first two stories were completed in the mid-1870s, with the third story and roof added five years later. Perhaps the fire damage inspired the designers to be extremely bold in their remodeling of the building.
The roof is the Poppleton's most striking feature. Apparently added in 1890, it has a dramatic pediment flanked with a finial on each side. From the central bull's-eye window, an Italian woman's head looks calmly down, flanked by rather perverse satyrs in support brackets. Elsewhere, there is a dense pattern of medallions, scrolls, and ornamented columns. All in all, a dramatic show, and a worthy neighbor to the Patrick Building's orderly presence to the south.
The Pearne Building (1865) was designed by Absalom B. Hallock and E. M. Burton. Hallock, a Quaker from New York, came to Portland in 1850. He was the first architect Portland ever had, and was instrumental in the creation of many buildings in Portland, including the first ones to use cast-iron fronts.