appealing school of design to come out of the 20th century. So it is unsurprising that this 150-foot-high, Art Deco building is such a visual success. Size aside, the Gregory's curved corners and zigzag Deco detailing tie it in with the nearby Phillips Electronics Building (1946, Universal Plan Service) and the Ballou & Wright Co. Building (1921, Sutton & Whitney). The latter five-story building is easy to spot because of its corner tower. Originally based in Montana, Ballou & Wright was a bicycle supplier that came to Portland in the late 1890s. Oscar B. Ballou and Charles F. Wright were both Irvington residents; with the success of their bicycle company, they later diversified and sold auto parts and motorcycles.
* In 2006, Bicycling magazine named Portland as the best city for bicyclists in the United States.
North of the Gregory on 11th Avenue is a long brick railroad warehouse from 1910. Converted into the Pearl Townhomes (1996, Vallaster & Corl Architects), it became one of the first renovations of this kind in the Pearl. The original loading dock of the warehouse now serves as entry stoops/yards for the residents.