downtown's waterfront, this isolated mill is the last historic reminder of that bygone era. Several reinforced-concrete and timber structures were built on this site over the course of time, and docks, milling equipment, and a notoriously rusted water tower gave the flouring mill some flavor. The mill was self-contained, in that it could both mill and store grain; its most significant and interesting building is the seven-story Flouring Mill (1910, Leland S. Rosener/San Francisco). This is the structure the water tower is perched on; it could be described as utilitarian Italian Renaissance.
Though it looks long abandoned, milling took place here right up to 2000, when the Portland Development Commission purchased the site. The police's Mounted Patrol Unit moved into rehabbed warehouse space, with the horses in an adjacent covered corral.
* The dress code for Portland police horses is as follows: "Solid colors (no off color), with minimal markings."
The PDC recommended razing the remaining buildings on the site, but public outcry and investment offers altered the demolition's trajectory; the more decrepit buildings will be razed, while renovation of others is the likely prospect. (Given the animals' sensitivity to noise and dust, demolition and construction will have to be carried out very carefully.) With a very large open park ("the Fields") to its west, the old mill can now provide a historic backdrop to a suddenly new area.