(originally the Olympic Cereal Mill, a.k.a. the B&O Warehouse)
Co./renovation: Works Partnership Architecture, 1920; remodel 2007
This sprawling reinforced-concrete building was originally a mill for William Ladd's Portland Flouring Mill. Over the decades, it morphed into the home for a motley assemblage of lofts, offices, and sundry other uses, including a theater and a skateboard company.
* In the late 1980s, this building was considered as a possible site for a four-hundred-bed minimum-security state prison.
The second tallest building in the Central Eastside, after its modern remodel, the Olympic Mills now has 170,000 square feet of new office space. The building also sports an added green roof, and four courtyards that penetrate into the huge 200-by-200-feet building. Parking is beneath the whole colossus. Be sure to take a walk through here to appreciate the labyrinthine remodel.