West Hall, 1891
a.k.a. Waldschmidt Hall
Architect: McCaw & Martin
This five-story, Romanesque
brick structure supposedly marks the site of the furthest point along the Willamette River reached by the Lewis and Clark expedition. Described by Wilfred Schoenberg as "ponderous, like a Fort Knox vault," its ground floor comprises randomly coursed gray stone with red brick above, while rounded bay/towers anchor the two ends of the building with their own conical roofs.
This was Portland University's original building (actually, it was Portland University) and in the words of Professor Leland Roth, it is a "direct rip-off" of H. H. Richardson's Sever Hall at Harvard. (In 1885, The American Architect & Building News named Sever Hall  as one of the top ten buildings in the U.S.) Rip-off or not, the right wing of the building was seemingly never completed. Serving as a site for both dormitories and classrooms, West Hall also provided the subsequent university buildings a template of brick color and classic patterns.
* Catholic Archbishop Alexander Christie purchased this abandoned hall for $1 in the 1890s. There was a lot of work to be done; untended goats had eaten its wallpaper in the interim between its ownership by the original Methodists and the new Catholic owners.
University of Portland Chapel, 1986
Architect: Pietro Belluschi, Yost Grube Hall
This building was designed as a religious spot and student center. The challenge for Belluschi was to pursue his own independent vision while taking into consideration the brick Georgian architectural tradition of the campus. What he came up with is a cedar and brick exterior with an overhanging roof, a church that Belluschi considered one of his finest efforts. The interior space of the chapel is intimate, innovative, and impressive. The striking entrance features the woodcarving of Leroy Setziol; it gives the chapel a unique, powerful, rustic personality.
James Johns (a.k.a. "James John") came to Oregon from California's Sacramento Valley in 1843. He established his land claim in 1847 and platted his eponymous townsite five years later. Johns was not a man of modest ambitions; he hoped that his town would become a great port city, the "Manhattan of the West."
St. Johns encouraged industrial development of its waterfront and a commercial district sprang up to serve it along N. Lombard Street. Today, St. Johns' earthy nature can still be seen in its high ratio of shirtless white guys patrolling around on warm days.
* A reclusive man, James Johns was also a bachelor, leading perhaps to his sobriquet as a "saint," although mere avoidance of other people can hardly be considered a virtue - unless they are shirtless white guys on warm days.Less Text