Architect: W.W. Goodrich (St. Johns city engineer), 1907
mayor of St. Johns insisted that if the city were to be taken seriously, it needed a reputable public building. After the passage of a $10,000 bond, this sturdy and modest Roman temple was the result. Reputable it is; it would not look out of place on a Lilliputian Wall Street. With the incorporation of St. Johns into the city of Portland in 1915, the structure became a precinct office for the Portland Police, a nice fit since W. W. Goodrich designed it with a city jail in its basement.
Alex Pierce oversaw a 1960s restoration, and the structure still looks good today, although it has arguably the worst bas-relief mural ever seen stretching across the bottom.
While here, take a short walk northwards to take in the BahÃ¡'Ã Center (1933, 8720 N. Ivanhoe Street, originally the St. Johns Station Post Office, F. Marion Stokes). Although not a large building, this brick structure contains interior murals by John Mallator as part of the W.P.A. that are worth a peek.